For some people, summertime is the best season to garden because this is the time where the weather is the warmest on a consistent period of time. However, planting during spring is also a great time without having to wait until summer comes. Below are the list of fruits and vegetables that’s perfect to plant during the springtime.
- Beets – This vegetable is perfect to plant in the early days of Spring. Be sure to plant beets as soon as the ground is ready to be planted.
- Cabbage – This one is ideal to plant about six weeks prior to the last time where your area is visited by frost. Alternatively, you can plant cabbage seeds outside two weeks prior to the last frost date too.
- Broccoli – Broccoli seeds are best planted 4 weeks after your area’s last frost date. The ideal daytime temperatures to plant broccoli seeds are between 65 degrees and 80 degrees.
- Onions – Onions are best planted during spring when the ground is ready. This vegetable can also be planted by seeds or small bulbs.
- Carrots – Carrots can also be planted about 2 weeks prior to your area’s last frost date.
- Lettuce – Lettuce can be planted anytime during spring as long as the ground is ready. Avoid planting them when cold temperature rises in your area as they won’t do well during the cold.
- Spinach – Planting spinach seeds during frozen soil is okay since the seeds will germinate as the ground thaws. If you’re transplanting spinach seeds from indoors, this can be done about four weeks prior to the last time your area has been visited by frost.
- Radishes – You can plant radishes the same time you plant broccolis, where you can plant them about 4 weeks prior to your area’s last frost date.
- Turnips – The best time to plant turnips is about 2 weeks prior to your area’s last frost date.
- Potatoes – Potatoes are best planted when the ground has started to produce green grass.
- Blueberries – This fruit is best planted during the early days of spring.
- Apples – apples are best planted depending on the area. Usually it’s best planted during spring in the central areas and northern areas.
- Peaches – Planting peach trees the same day you get them is the best time to plant.
- Grapes – Just like blueberries, grape vines are also best planted during the early days of spring.
- Pears- Pears are best planted as early as the spring has started.
- Strawberries – Plant strawberries as soon as the ground is ready for planting.